Friday, February 29, 2008

Fighting the good fight...

Fightfrumpbutton


Y'see, we have this Throwback of a Fleece Jacket from C-tel. I think every citizen of Monroe and the surrounding area had one at one point. It's been weirdly cold here lately, and I'm trying to find the right weight coat/jacket that I can put on or take off quickly, and not over my head. Don't wanna mess with the hair, now, do I? This zip-up fleece is just the right weight, and it's super-soft. It's also eleventy-thousand sizes too large. Well, maybe just 3 or 4, but who's counting? The waist comes down past my hips. In order to put my hands in the pockets, my elbows don't bend. We're talking big, people. After I get ready/presentable this morning, I'll have to post a picture of it.

Anyway, the other morning I wore this fleece to work. Mmm! Soft and fleecy warmth. On the way to work, I could hear Fussy's imaginary voice.... "Are you fighting the frump today?"
"NO! Frump, I embrace Thee!" I justified the jacket because I wouldn't be wearing it all day. It didn't matter what I looked like. WRONG! It was super-cold at work, so naturally I wrapped in my snuggly, oversized goodness, looking like a smurfy marshmallow man, er... woman.

Then, I realized how goofy I was. Here I am, a successful woman with means to take care of her appearance, and I don't have appropriate outerwear. How crazy is that? So, I did what every red-blooded American woman would do. SHOPPING!

I wanted a fitted, zip-up fleece, and Old Navy had (at one point) cornered the market on fleece, right? Well, not any more. Now it makes me think "Disposable Clothing for the 18-24 Set" of which I am no longer a part. Then, I even went to TJMaxx. Nothing. Finally, Kohl's. I hadn't set foot in that store since Black Friday with my SIL. It's just too tempting to buy out the whole dang store. I. Love. Kohl's. I found a super-cute, lavender zip-up hoodie sweater, but no fleece. I'll have to check Eddie Bauer today.

I haven't been in such a shopping mood lately, so I was surprised when I actually spent TIME searching for this fleece. That's usually when I enjoy shopping the most: when I have a mission. I'll keep you posted (because it's such breaking news!) on the search.

Back to your normal lives now. Thank you.

7 comments:

Texasholly said...

Land's End may have just what you are looking for. My son wears a uniform to school that has to be ordered through Land's End and everytime I zip up his little fleece jacket (which is tailored on the sides and super comfy) I think I need to go online and buy one for myself.

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

I live in Northern MI and I love having a fleece vest for the colder days. I'm wearing a very cute one right now, and I do believe Lands End is the place to go!

Ginny said...

Thanks for the Land's End tips. I'm on the website now, and I think I've found it! Now, I'll just have to swing by Sears to see if I can try it on.

Daisy said...

Well - I don't pretend to know why it must be fleece - but you can check out

Overstock.com

or

Sahalie

Good luck!

Katrine said...

I have an ugly fleece jacket that I wear at movie theaters because it's too cold in those buildings. I know it looks frumpy but it is so comfortable. So, I carry it in, wear it in the dark, and carry it out!

Jennifer said...

This is me practically everyday. I do fine with my regular clothes, but my coats are SO FRUMPY! Retail therapy is the best!

Ginny said...

I have to confess... I wore the Frumptastic Fleece this morning while walking the dog. The sweaters I bought on Friday are half-zip, and are really just overshirt types. I looooove how soft they are. I think that's really why I wanted the fleece.

Thanks for all the great ideas!